Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving Quotes from Manuscripts

Nov 1849 Wednes 28th My birth day I lay in my berth all day got some gruel in the PM which made me feel better it rained most all day I got some Sage Tea for my Supper. the Ship leaked some & went 9 knots today one of the Steerage Pas had 2 galls of Brandy stolen I expect that it was wanted by some one for Thanksgiving Lat 35:47 Long 56:14 Willard Childs - on the Reindeer enroute to San Francisco

Thursday, Thanksgiving Day Nov 28. Two weeks ago we looked forward to Thanksgiving Day as when we should perhaps be in, but light winds and calms have delayed us . E. has a holiday and I have only got one lesson, the last till we leave port. Today has seemed like Saturday to me; I do not know why. The weather still continues quite warm.{1889/11/28} Friday, Nov. 29. It is perceptibly cooler today. I have had a little sore throat today but it will not last long. We had the trunks out today and afterwards I ironed or pressed out one dress. The dresses are all very much creased. I am terribly tired. feel more like going to bed than anything else. Calista Stover en route to China.

Dear Father: Thank you for you letter of November 12. [1934] I certainly appreciate your thinking of me on the eleventh and I, too, thought of a great many happy birthdays spent at Bristol.I am going to try hard to come down at Thanksgiving time and then we can talk over some more about the comparison of Endeavour and Rainbow. L. F. Herreshoff to N.G. Herreshoff

Blog Archive